After much thought, I’ve come up with my phrase for 2017, and with it, my intentions. As I mentioned in my last post, 2016’s word of the year was basically a complete bust. I want this year to be different. More realistic and measurable ways to actually live out what I set forth to do at the beginning of the year.
2017 – The Year of Cherish & Chill
If 2017 goes as planned, there are big changes ahead. I really don’t know all the ways that will play out yet and I don’t want to make goals that are unrealistic to my reality as a result. As I was thinking about this and trying to find a word(s) to encapsulate what I wanted my mindset to be, words like flexible and malleable came to mind. Yet those words felt boring, and besides, they weren’t active enough sounding for me. The challenge I ran into was finding that action word for an almost passive state of mind. I thought deeper about how I want to react to the impending changes and finally landed on these 2 words that I believe are perfect for 2017.
As much as possible, this year I want to cherish all the little and big moments that arise. I truly think this will lead to a positive mindset, appreciation for life, and reduced stress. Not to mention (unlike the year of balance) it doesn’t overwhelm me; it’s a doable goal!
I’m still working this out but here are a few measurable ways that I can move in that direction.
- Every night before bed, think (or write) three things that I am grateful for that day
- Aim to take at least 3 walks a week. Walks are not only physically beneficial, but they are a great time to meditate and ponder.
- Take more pictures. I want to capture all those moments and memories that make me smile.
When I say “chill”, I mean that I want to be flexible and roll with the punches on what life hands me. That if plans change or don’t go as I intended, I’ll be able to adapt without great distress. Some people are naturally wired this way but I’m not one of them. Not yet, anyway:)
- Set soft goals. I will still plan, but not have such rigid goals that they don’t allow any deviation.
- Schedule in “me time”. This could just be a 20-minute bath, but the goal is to be able to step away from whatever situation has me feeling overwhelmed.
- Prayer. Lots of it. Daily :).
What does this mean for this blog?
I will aim to post an average of 2 x a week, and the goal of my posts is still to uplift, inspire, or help you walk away with something new. I also hope to do some interviews and introduce you to some bloggers that I admire. There will continue to be lifestyle posts, because, after all, this stems from my life. And on those weeks that I don’t get a full two blog posts up, just roll with me knowing that it is the year of “chill”.
What are your thoughts on this upcoming year? Have you thought of a word or resolution that you want to achieve? Let me know in the comments below!