As nights wind down in the Emerald City two scenarios inevitably play out in my household. The first is a night of blogging while simultaneously catching up on shows, spending quality time with E, and random social media. In other words, in the blink of an eye it’s well after midnight and so I fall into bed and asleep in 3.5 seconds.The second is that I actually watch my time and leave myself an hour before bed to get ready. Some people need time to unwind so they can fall asleep but more than that, for me that time is what sets up my next day for success. If you caught my Master Your Mornings (Even if You’re a Night Owl), the only way mornings fully work is if I set things up the night before. Otherwise, I wake up feeling tired and unprepared and that feeling carries throughout the day. When I follow this roughly 60 minute evening routine I fall asleep feeling good, and my next day is already off to great start!
How Your Evening Routine Can Set You Up For Success
- Sweep Clean (5-10 min)
- A quick look around the house to pick things up, wipe counters down etc. Waking up to dirty dishes does not scream “Slay Your Day”
- Planner Peek (10 min)
- Take a look at what the next day holds. Make adjustments as needed, anticipate obstacles, and nail down the three most important things that must get done off your to-do list. I also like to follow the exercise “sharpen the saw” I learned when I got my first Franklin Covey planner wayyyy back in the day. Basically, I break down my different roles (blogger, wife, friend, etc) and name the biggest thing I want to do in that role.
- Infuse Water (5 min)
- Make up water bottles for the next day and infuse it with fruit, cucumbers, or herbs if desired.
- Set The Stage (10 min)
- Set out every single thing you can think of that you’ll need the next day. Clothes for work and working out, the makeup that you think you’ll wear, lunch bag for your prepped lunch, a mug and lemon set out for your lemon water in the morning, and anything else your schedule dictates. This is such a time saver for the next day.
- **I know it’s hard, but at this point try to put your phone down for the night. Otherwise this hour routine could stretch into two!
- Beauty Routine (15 min+)
- Clarisonic, showering, Sonicare. Whatever your night-time jam is, but don’t forget to floss! 😉
- Stretch It Out (5-10 min)
- Stretching, yoga, unwinding your body will help you unwind your mind. I even love doing Child’s Pose here.
- Pray/Meditate (5-10 min)
- Sometimes I find that kneeling or praying before I get into bed keeps me from falling asleep. Some people also like to journal at this point. If I have extra time I like to read, but I try to not make it a heavy or depressing read.
- Don’t Go To Bed Angry
- I’m sure you’ve all heard this phrase before, but it really is true. Kiss your hubby, kiss the dog, send a make-up text, just try your best not to carry negativity with you into the night.
Is there anything special that you do at night to help you unwind and prepare for the next day? What are your keys to success? Leave me a comment here or shout it out on Twitter @AngelScheie. I’m always looking for ways to strenghten my routines!