It’s International Pay if Forward Day! Although technically this should be a goal every day, it’s a nice little kick in the pants to be intentional about it today!
Right now in the Seattle area there are two events I’m super excited about that are raising money for a great cause; American Cancer Society Relay For Life. I have lost several loved ones to cancer and have been connected to hundreds more through my job as a Hygienist and various roles. If it hasn’t touched your life in some capacity it will. Of course, you can live anywhere to give to this great cause today but if you are in the Seattle area there are two fundraising events that will be a blast! I’m going to introduce you to them below. Cupcakes and cocktails, not a bad way to give back!
What is Relay for Life?
Relay for Life is the largest cancer-fighting movement in the world. Each year, more than 4 million people in over 20 countries take part in this global phenomenon and raise much-needed funds and awareness to save lives from cancer. Relay for Life is a life-changing event that gives everyone in communities across the globe a chance to celebrate the lives of people who have battled cancer, remember loved ones lost and fight back against the disease.
How does it work? At Relay, teams of people camp out at a local high school, park, or fairground and take turns walking or running around a track or path. Each team is asked to have a representative on the track at all times during the event. Because cancer never sleeps, Relays are overnight events up to 24 hours in length. Northshore Relay for Life raised $143,582 last year and had over 1,000 people come out in support! There are three main components of a Relay event.
- Survivor’s Lap: During the Survivors Lap, all cancer survivors at the event take the first lap around the track, celebrating their victory over cancer while cheered on by the other participants who line the track. Relay for Life events also recognize and celebrate caregivers, who give time, love, and support to their friends, family, neighbors, and coworkers facing cancer. The survivors are then treated to a lunch banquet.
Luminaria Ceremony: After dark, we honor people who have been touched by cancer and remember loved ones lost to the disease during the Luminaria Ceremony. Candles are lit inside bags filled with sand, each one bearing the name of a person touched by cancer, and participants often walk a lap in silence. As people take time to remember, those who have walked alongside others battling cancer can grieve and find healing. This is a time that truly highlights the importance of defeating this disease. Each luminaria is personalized with a name, photo, message or drawing in memory or honor of a friend or loved one who has been affected by cancer. Each luminaria candle represents a person. They are our mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, friends, coworkers, and so many others.
- Fighting Back Ceremony: This emotionally powerful ceremony inspires Relay participants to take action. The Fight Back Ceremony symbolizes the emotional commitment each of us can make in the fight against cancer. The action taken represents what we are willing to do for ourselves, for our loved ones, and for our community to fight cancer year-round and to commit to saving lives.
Each event guest will receive a $1 drink ticket and complimentary appetizers and desserts. There will also be raffle prizes and live music, free parking and happy hour prices from 4:00 – 7:00 pm!
Ticket price is $15 per person in advance or $20 per person day of. Tickets can be bought in person or on Eventbrite. All of the proceeds from this event will be going to the Northshore Relay for Life!
May 30th Cupcake Camp Seattle 1:00-4:00
How fun is this? It even has a theme as if cupcakes weren’t awesome enough:).
Cupcake Camp Seattle: Seattle’s Biggest Tasting Event
Cupcake Camp Seattle is a chance for the community to come together to fight back against cancer. It’s an event designed for the cupcake and dessert lovers among us; those who love to eat them and those who love to make them! Cupcake Camp has been held all over the world. It was even held in Seattle for several years in the past where over 5,000 cupcakes were donated by bakers in the community!
The theme this year is Disney and there will be cupcake contests, a Disney photo booth, live music, and lots of fun games and activities.
What: A gathering of those who love all things cupcakes.
Who: Bakers, Sponsors, Cancer Fighters and Cupcake Lovers!
When: Saturday May 30th, 2015. Relay for Life Kickoff is at 12:00pm (same location) and Cupcake Camp will be open for entry at 1:00pm or until we run out of cupcakes! Be sure to come early and check out the Opening Ceremony and Survivor’s Lab at 12:00pm. Last year $143,582 was raised and had over 1,000 participants!
Where: Skyview Junior High in Bothell during the Northshore Relay for Life (see picture above for address).
The Contest: There will be a contest with lots of great prizes for the following categories; Professional and Amateur bakers: Best Theme, Best Decorated, Best Tasting, Best Display and Most Unique Ingredients.
The Cupcakes: All the cupcakes will be donated by the local community by bakers of all ages and levels. Whether you own a bakery and are a professional baker or just love baking for fun, we invite you all to bring cupcakes to share at this event and help raise money for cancer! You can choose to enter our contest, but it is not required. We are expecting 1,000 – 2,000 people in attendance.
How You Can Help:
Community and local businesses are needed to help make this event successful! By supporting the American Cancer Society through a Relay for Life event, you are sending the message that you care about the well-being of your community and are committed to saving lives by partnering with the world’s largest fight for more birthdays. This is the perfect way to advertise your business by getting your name out there and supporting an incredible cause! All donations are tax-deductible and you can help in several different ways:
- Donate cupcakes: Register as a baker and donate cupcakes or any other baked goods!
- Donate prizes: Gift cards/certificates, movie passes, baking supplies, tickets, baking books, etc.
- Donate supplies: Supplies such as gloves, decorations, table cloths, napkins, forks, paper plates, etc.
- Donate services: People are needed who can donate all kinds of services such as photographers, make-up artists, face painters, balloon artists, etc.
- Volunteer: Help out with advertising, finding sponsors and bakers, and day-of-event activities.
- Suggest an activity or sponsorship: Tell us what you want, and we will try to make it happen!
There you have it, not one but two great events to help wage the war against cancer. How are you giving back or paying it forward? Happy International Pay it Forward Day! :).