- I’m celebrating a birthday this week so a question relating to aging feels appropriate. Douglas MacArthur is quoted as saying, ‘You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair.’ Would you agree? If not, why not?
Mostly. I definitely think that doubting, fear, and despair (anxiety in general) can age you. Stress wreaks havoc on our bodies, and I’ve experienced that firsthand. I’m gathering from ” you are as young as your faith” that he means a strong faith is child-like in that it doesn’t doubt and is sure, in which case I agree. If I had child-like faith then I would doubt and fear less, going back to my point above. As for self-confidence, usually the struggle is most intense at younger ages, so I’m not sure I get that one. I feel like the older I get the more self-confidence I have. It’s one of the positives of aging in my opinion. Maybe he means as with faith, when you are very young you have a lot of self-confidence because doubt hasn’t set in yet. Children also have big hopes that aren’t hindered by the obstacles. However, I believe that life experiences teach and enrich us so much, and you can’t get those without aging!
2. What remarkable feat, interesting piece of trivia, or historical event occurred on your birth day and month? Not necessarily your same birthyear, just the same date/same month.
Lots of wartime events happened on my birthday, but I found these more interesting.
1796 The first smallpox inoculation was administered by Dr.Jenner.
1973 US Supreme Court approves equal rights to women in the military
3. Describe a time or circumstance where you wanted to ‘have your cake and eat it too.’
Oh, you mean like being able to eat endless sweets and fat, and have a rock star body?
4. What’s something you do that makes you feel young? Something that makes you feel old?
Dancing or laughing with friends makes me feel young. Stressing about financial issues makes me feel old.
5. When did you last do something that was ‘a piece of cake’?
I’ve gotten pretty proficient at my job, so I’d have to say when an “easy” patient came in yesterday it was a cake walk!
6. Beef, wine, and cheese all improve with age. What else would you add to that list? (not necessarily food or beverage)
Relationships and technology.
7. If I were to have a giveaway when we hit Volume 200 in the Hodgepodge, what should I give away? By my calculations we’ll hit Volume 200 on November 26th, the day before Thanksgiving, which means whoever wins would have whatever it is by Christmas.
Amazon gift cards? Sorry,not feeling very creative this morning.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
My 2nd wedding Anniversary is this Monday. It’s the cotton anniversary. I have some ideas, but any other ideas would be appreciated!
Happy Hump/Hodgepodge Day!